Monday, June 23, 2008

The Blogging problem...

I had almost forgotten about my blogging account and for a long time I have kept myself busy with other things, then what is it that brings me back here? Well its the blogging problem.

Everybody blogs these days. I for one certainly see no problem with that, as I feel its a good medium of expression and also that my blogs will form a good read for my own self in the future (maybe I'll get to retrospect a lil on reading my own blogs), so as far as I am concerned the blogging problem is not about blogging at all, but its about people who write stuff and then expect me as their friend to read what they have written and give them my "genuine"opinion on what I feel about their literary achievements. Now its very natural to mellow down your response to suit what your friends actually want to hear from you, but a recent incident made me realize that I can really be very rude to people who have actually considered me worthy enough to ask me how I felt about their blogs.

So here goes the story, this friend of mine, who has recently joined my friend circle (and so does not know much about me besides any first impressions he has got of me) asked me to read and correct a movie review he had written for his blog. It seems my name had been suggested by another friend. It also came up during the conversation that this honour was bestowed upon me not because of my literary skills but because of the fact that it is generally don't say no when my friends ask me a favor and that in all my friend circle I was the one least likely to make fun of the obvious lack of composition skills of the newbie. And thus began the very highly irritating two hours by the end of which I had wrote some nasty comment or the other about almost every sentence of the said writeup.

I sent the reviewed document back to him not expecting a reply after the way in which I had criticized his work, to my surprise I received a mail with the corrected version and a note which thanked me for all my efforts and reminded me that "you know you should sometimes tell lies to keep up the spirit " . Later that evening he sent out the link to his blog to all his friends including myself and on top of the blog was the line "A big thanks to Shivani to help me out in putting my expressions in words." I was kind of happy and embarrassed by this gesture. The writeup was still pretty much the same except that it was free of the most glaring of its grammatical errors and so I was making my peace with the situation. All of us met for dinner and somebody asked the newbie when his next post was coming. As I listened to the answer I secretly hoped that this time I wouldn't be asked to review...

1 comment:

Richie Agarwal said...

An interesting incidence... makes me believe that i cud ask this girl for some help too.... but - i am forced to reconsider my decision after she secretly hopes not to.....